Locksmiths are often portrayed in the media as shady opportunists, but you might be surprised to know that there’s a lot more to them than meets the eye. What most people don’t realize is that locksmiths offer far more than just emergency service – they also specialize in home security, commercial security, and automotive security. And that’s just the beginning. In the modern world, local locksmith opens doors quickly are more important than ever and it’s worth learning more about them to ensure you’re getting the best value for your money.
What is a locksmith?
A locksmith is an individual who has expertise and knowledge of a wide range of locks, keys, doors, safes, security systems and security hardware. A locksmith’s major focus is on locks, however they are often able to provide other security-related services. These services may include installation of safes and home security systems, safe opening and closing, safe servicing and repairs, key cutting, rekeying and duplication. In short; locksmiths can provide you with much more than just emergency lock opening.
The different types of Locksmiths
There are several different types of locksmiths, but they all share the common trait of having the ability to open and close doors and safes using lock picks. However, each type of locksmith can be categorized by specialty.
- Emergency Locksmiths – These are locksmiths who specialize in solving problems that may arise out of security breaches or unexpected situations. They use a wide variety of skills to get into locked home or office doors, armored trucks and other secure vehicles, challenging safes and other complicated hardware.
- Home Locksmiths – These are locksmiths who use their skills to provide you with locks, keys, and safety for all of your home security and entry needs. They can install high-tech safes and gates as well as provide you with the services of a home security consultant.
- Commercial Locksmiths – As the name implies, these are professionals who specialize in commercial lock installations, safes and secure areas. They can also offer the same levels of home security training that other types of locksmiths provide.
- Automotive Locksmiths – These are professionals who provide locksmithing services to individual car owners, car dealerships, and motor vehicle repair shops. Protecting your car and its contents is only part of their job as they often provide you with the tools you need to secure your home by providing you with high-security locks for your doors, gates and windows.
- The different types of Locks – Each type of locksmith has their own specialty, but all are experts in handling different types of locks and keys.